Day of Jokes
April the 1st is known as April Fool's Day. It is a day people when people play jokes. There are often silly stories in the newspapers and on the television and radio.
In most countries April fool's jokes usually happen before midday. In France, for example, you have 'April Fish'. Children try to secretly pin paper fish on to each other.
Nobody knows how April fool's Day started. Perhaps it was to celebrate the start of spring.
Famous April Fool's Day Jokes
- The BBC produced a spoof April fool's' documentary about 'spaghetti trees'
- Burger King introduced a left-handed burger.
- A famous British astronomer made a very strange radio announcement about gravity on April 1.
Can you spot the April Fool stories on
Spaghetti Trees * Left-handed Burgers * Gravity Loss
Note for ESL, EFL & ESOL Teachers
What is ESL Young Learners?
An independent website providing free resources for English language teachers and students. These include reading and listening materials for use in the classroom or online.
Which resources can I use with my students?
Think of ESL Young Learners as a library. Materials are broadly categorised by age and/or level - but visitors can use any materials they can manage.
- Materials for the Age 5+ range in level from Beginners to Pre-intermediate.
- Materials for the Age 10+ range in level from Pre-intermediate to Upper Intermediate.
Less confident older learners may want to try the materials for younger children or vice versa.